Beechwood, St Albans, England
Record Id: 343
This site is NOT open to public.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Beechwood is a 17th-century landscape park, redesigned in 1753 by Lancelot Brown. A formal garden was added in the mid-19th century. The park was reduced in size in the 20th century, with much of it being returned to arable. Only the grounds and gardens surrounding the house (now a school) survive.
Brief history of site
The first house was probably built for Sir Richard Page (d.1598) and extended and remodelled over the years. In 1754 Lancelot Brown was commissioned by Sir John Sebright to supply designs for the property. Here the thick woods were thinned, rather than extensive extra planting, as confirmed by his plan of 1754. In 1924 a census by the Forestry Commission recorded that one of the few remaining plantations of pure beech was situated at Beechwood Park. Much of the estate was sold in 1935; the Sebrights moved to Cheverells, and Beechwood was rented out. By 1961 it had been sold, to become Beechwood Park School in 1964. Much of the park has been returned to arable and many trees lost.
Address: Beechwood Park School, Markyate, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3 8AW
Locality: St Albans
Hertfordshire; Dacorum; Markyate
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL046144|
West of the A1 junction 9
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site first created: 1538 to 1869
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 24.2