Warley Place, Greater London, England
Record Id: 3426
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The nature reserve comprises the once famous garden laid out by John Evelyn between 1649 and 1655, remodelled in the 20th century by Miss Ellen Willmott. The site, which originally occupied 11 hectares, has been recently restored, not to its original form, but many parts of Evelyn's original gardens can be seen including a line of mature sweet chestnuts thought to have been planted by him.
Brief history of site
In the 16th century the site of Warley Place formed part of a much bigger estate. Warley Place was built during the early part of the 17th century. Alterations were carried out to the house during the 1840s. Frederick Willmott bought the estate in 1875, and commissioned major additions to the house. During her time at Warley Place Ellen Willmott was described by Gertrude Jekyll as 'the greatest living gardener': she employed as many as 104 gardeners and developed complex grounds with an extensive collection of plants.
Address: Warley Place, Warley Road, Brentwood, CM13 3JE
Locality: Greater London
Essex; Brentwood; Warley
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ583906|
Opening contact details:
There are public open weekends between February and April. In addition, members of the Essex Wildlife Trust have free open access to the site.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: nature reserve
Site first created: 1649 to 1655
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 11