Warley Park, (also known as Warley Woods), Birmingham, England
Record Id: 3425
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Warley Park is a landscape park covering 40 hectares, laid out according to the designs of Humphry Repton, who produced a Red Book for the site in 1795. It is now a public park which includes a meadow and woodlands, and a golf course.
Brief history of site
In the early 1790s, Samuel Galton called in Humphry Repton to draw up plans to convert the existing system of fields into a fitting setting for a new house. In 1902, the site was purchased by the City of Birmingham, and was opened as a public park in 1906.
Address: Warley Park, Warley, Smethwick, Birmingham, B67 5ED
West Midlands; Sandwell; Old Warley
Historical County: Staffordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP012859|
3 miles west of Birmingham city centre, north of the A456 Harborne Road.
Opening contact details:
This is an open space for general public use. It is administered by a community trust.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 40