Wallington, Morpeth, England
Record Id: 3405
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Wallington has landscaped pleasure grounds and a park covering some 45 hectares. Other features include the East and West woods.
Brief history of site
In 1542 there was a 'stronge toure and a stone house' at Wallington. From 1730 to the 1770s Walter Calverley reorganised the Wallington estate on a grand scale, carrying out agricultural improvements, remodelling the house, building stables, laying out extensive gardens, and ornamenting the park, building a new deer park nearby at Rothley Park and making new plantations throughout. The Wallington estate, a total of 5261 hectares, was donated by Charles Philips Trevelyan to the National Trust in 1942.
Address: Cambo, Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61 4AR
Historical County: Northumberland
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||81||Grid Ref:||NZ028842|
The site is off the A1 between Newcastle and Morpeth.
Opening contact details:
The grounds are open daily throughout the year from 10 am until 7 pm.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: pleasure ground
Context or principal building: historic house
Site first created: 1730 to 1779
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 125