Wakehurst Place, Haywards Heath, England
Record Id: 3399
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Wakehurst Place has formal and landscape gardens with an extensive plant collection from the early-20th century. There were later additions in 1963. Wakehurst Place is now funded, administered and maintained by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.
Brief history of site
The manor of Wakehurst probably dates from the mid-13th century. Sir Edward Culpeper built the present house in 1590. Considerable alterations to both the house and gardens were undertaken in the late-19th century. In 1903 the estate was sold to Gerald Loder, who established many of the present plant collections, particularly those from Eastern Asia and the southern continents.
Address: Ardingly, nr Haywards Heath, West Sussex , RH17 6TN
Locality: Haywards Heath
West Sussex; Mid Sussex; Ardingly
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||198||Grid Ref:||TQ339314|
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from 10 am.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: botanic garden
Context or principal building: great house
Site first created: 1903 to 1936
Main period of development: Early 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 40