Valleyfield, Dunfermline, Scotland
Record Id: 3359
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The early-19th-century designed landscape at Valleyfield was the only Scottish commission of Humphry Repton. The structure of the original landscape survives with a ha-ha and a walled garden sited above the burn that runs through the park. Restoration work is currently being carried out on the walled garden, rustic bridges, stone arch and paths.
Brief history of site
Valleyfield was created in 1802 by Humphry Repton for Sir Robert Preston. The walled flower garden featured a canal about 150 metres long. In the early-1900s the estate was sold to the East Fife Coal Company and part of the parkland was developed as miners' housing. In 1990 part of the original designed landscape was opened as Valleyfield Woodland Park.
Historical County: Fife
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||65||Grid Ref:||NT005872|
Valleyfield Woodland Park is about one mile north-east of Culross. There is a southern entrance at Newmills and a northern one near Shiresmill.
Opening contact details:
Valleyfield Woodland Park is a public park.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: public park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: After 1802
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 103