Upton House, Banbury, England
Record Id: 3353
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Formal gardens were first laid out at Upton House in the early-18th century, and substantially added to in the 1930s by Morley Horder, architect, and Kitty Lloyd Jones, garden designer, for Lord Bearsted. The gardens occupy an area of about 12 hectares within an 18th-century landscape park of about 80 hectares. The gardens house the National Collection of asters.
Brief history of site
By 1500, the small medieval village had been enclosed for sheep farming, and the houses demolished. Sir William Danvers built a substantial house on the site soon after. This house was rebuilt after 1688, completing the core of the present house by 1695. Formal gardens were created at the same time. After 1732, additions were made to the house, and the park was developed with the advice of Sanderson Miller. For much of the 19th century the estate was let. Lord Bearsted commissioned Percy Morley Horder to remodel the house in 1927-9, and make improvements to the gardens. Further changes were made under the supervision of Kitty Lloyd Jones.
Address: Upton House, Upton, Banbury, Warwickshire, OX15 6HT
Warwickshire; Stratford-on-Avon; Ratley and Upton
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||151||Grid Ref:||SP371 455|
South of the A422 near Edge Hill, to the north-west of Banbury.
Opening contact details:
The site is open between March and October from 11 am until 5 pm. It is closed on Thursdays and Fridays early in the season, then only closed on Thursdays throughout the summer.
Parking, WCs, refreshments, shop. Some disabled access.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 92