Ugbrooke Park, Newton Abbot, England
Record Id: 3341
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Ugbrooke Park is a mid-18th-century landscape park and woodland comprising 5 hectares of gardens and pleasure grounds, and about 200 hectares of parkland and woodland. There is also 30 hectares of pleasure grounds, parkland and woodland associated with Lawell House. Features include specimen trees, a series of lakes, a waterfall and an orangery.
Brief history of site
In 1550 Ugbrooke was sold to Sir Piers Courtenay of Powderham Castle, Devon. The house was rebuilt in the late-17th century. In the late-17th and early-18th century improvements were made to the park, in particular planting several formal avenues. A new house was designed by Robert Adam and constructed between 1760 and 1769. Lancelot Brown was consulted regarding the park around 1770.
Address: Ugbrooke Park, Chudleigh, Devon, TQ13 0AD
Locality: Newton Abbot
Devon; Teignbridge; Chudleigh
Historical County: Devon
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||191||Grid Ref:||SX875781|
The estate lies off the A380 between Exeter and Newton Abbot.
Opening contact details:
The site is open to the public between July and September, but on restricted days and times. Private tours are available with more frequency.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 235