Tyringham, Newport Pagnell, England
Record Id: 3339
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Tyringham has early-20th-century formal gardens situated in a late-18th-century landscape park. At its most extensive the park covered about 100 hectares. The present grounds around the house occupy 12 hectares.
Brief history of site
Tyringham manor was held by the Tyringham family throughout the Middle Ages and beyond. In 1778 it passed to William Praed, who was responsible for commissioning the architect Sir John Soane to rebuild the old manor house. In 1793, Humphrey Repton was commissioned to landscape the park, although if a Red Book was indeed produced for Tyringham, its whereabouts is unknown. Ernst Eberhard von Ihne remodelled the house, and Charles F Rees provided the formal forecourt and garden elements including the Rose Garden in around 1911. Edwin Lutyens was called in from 1924 to 1928, and designed the great axial garden.
Address: Tyringham House, Tyringham, Buckinghamshire, MK16 9ED
Locality: Newport Pagnell
Milton Keynes; Sherington
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SP856469|
Between the A509 and the B526, north-west of Newport Pagnell.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: multiple dwelling
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 95