Tyntesfield, Bristol, England
Record Id: 3337
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Tyntesfield has formal terraced gardens and pleasure grounds of around 12 hectares, set within a landscape park of 130 hectares. There are kitchen gardens, garden buildings and ornaments dating from 1885, by Sir Walter Cave.
Brief history of site
In the early-15th century an estate in the parish of Wraxall belonged to the Tynte family. Reverend George Turner Seymour built a gothic villa in 1836-40. Following the death of the Rev George Seymour in 1843, William Gibbs purchased the Tyntes Place Estate from his widow. He considerably expanded his property and developed the pleasure grounds. In 1863 William Gibbs decided on a radical rebuilding of the house, which was now known as Tyntesfield, and commissioned plans from the London and Bristol architect, John Norton. Improvements were made to the house in 1889-90. In 1896 the walled garden was remodelled and extended, possibly by Sir Reginald Blomfield.
Address: Wraxall, North Somerset, BS48 1NT
North Somerset; Wraxall and Long Ashton
Historical County: Somerset
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST506715|
The site is at Wraxall on the B3128.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open between March and November from 10.30 until 5.30. The site is closed on Thursdays and Fridays.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1836 to 1896
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 250