Tusmore House, (also known as Tusmore Park), Bicester, England
Record Id: 3332
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Tusmore was originally a 14th-century park developed in the 17th century to include formal gardens and avenues around a manor house. A new house was designed by Robert Mylne and built in 1770. Pleasure grounds were added, the park was landscaped and a Temple of Peace was constructed. An Arts and Crafts garden was designed in the early-20th century by Imrie and Angell (architects).
Brief history of site
A new house was designed by Robert Mylne and built in 1770. The house was replaced in 1964 to a neo-Georgian design by Claud Phillimore, and again, in the same style, in 2002-03.
Address: Tusmore House, Hardwick, Oxfordshire, OX27 7SW
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Hardwick-with-Yel
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP565307|
off the A43, north-east of M40 junction 10
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Main period of development: 18th century
The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Grade II Reference Granary
The National Heritage List for England: Listed Building Grade II Reference Dovecote
Scheduled Ancient Monument Reference site of DMV
House Created 2002 to 2003
The house has a neo-Georgian design.
People associated with this site
Builder: Mr Robert Mylne (born 04/01/1733 died 05/05/1811)
Architect: Claud Stephen Phillimore, The Rt Hon.The Lord Phillimore (born 15/01/1911 died 29/03/1994)
Organisations associated with this site
There are no images associated with this site