Trewarthenick, Truro, England
Record Id: 3312
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Trewarthenick is a late-18th-century landscape park of around 75 hectares, now largely returned to agriculture. The gardens and pleasure grounds occupy about 5 hectares.
Brief history of site
The estate of Trewarthenick was purchased by John Gregor in 1640. His grandson rebuilt an existing house on the site in 1680. In 1792 Francis Gregor invited Humphry Repton to prepare proposals for the improvement of the landscape. Gregor implemented much of Repton's scheme and remodelled the house with advice from Matthew Brettingham. After 1814, the London architect Henry Harrison was engaged to make improvements to the house. At the same time further improvements were made in the grounds.
Address: Trewarthenick, Tregony, Carrick, Cornwall, TR2 5UB
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||204||Grid Ref:||SW903442|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Site first created: After 1792
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 75