Trent Park, (also known as Trent Place), Enfield, England
Record Id: 3305
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Trent Park was initially established as a private estate following the division of Enfield Chase in 1777. The park was landscaped in the 1780s, and now includes formal gardens, woodlands and sports facilities. It became a public park in 1973.
Brief history of site
In 1777 George III gave his consent to an Act of Parliament to divide, enclose and disafforest the royal hunting forest of Enfield Chase. The land was divided and sold in lots, with two lots earmarked as a miniature hunting park. The lease of this area was granted in about 1780 to Dr Richard Jebb, the physician to George III. A deer park of 83 hectares and a lake were laid out in the late-18th century. The house was enlarged after 1793, and the grounds were improved at the same time. Sir Philip Sassoon rebuilt parts of the house and laid out new gardens after 1912.
Address: Trent Park, Cockfosters Road, Barnet, London, EN4 0PS
Greater London; Enfield
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ287975|
Tube: Cockfosters/Oakwood (Piccadilly). Bus: 121, 298, 299, 307, 384
Opening contact details:
The site is open daily from 8 am, or 8.30 am on Sundays. Closing times vary seasonally.
Visitor Centre. Refreshments. WCs. Parking. Sports facilities.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: country park
Context or principal building: university
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: After 1777
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 320