Trengwainton, Penzance, England
Record Id: 3303
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Trengwainton is a 20th-century woodland garden. There are some 30 hectares of pleasure grounds around the house and in a valley to the west, and about 17 hectares of parkland.
Brief history of site
The Arundells rebuilt the house in 1692, but subsequently sold the estate. Trengwainton continued as a farm until the early-19th century, when, in 1813, it was purchased by Sir Rose Price. He rebuilt the house, and formed extensive pleasure grounds. The house was reduced in size and used for a time as a farm, until it was acquired in 1867 by Thomas Simon Bolitho, who extended the house and made alterations to the grounds.
Address: Trengwainton, Madron, nr Penzance, Cornwall, TR20 8RZ
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||203||Grid Ref:||SW445315|
The gardens are 2 miles north-west of Penzance off the B3312.
Opening contact details:
The site is open between February and November, 10.30am to 5pm. It is closed on Fridays and Saturdays.
Form of site: woodland garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: country house
Plant type/environment: exotic garden
Site first created: 1813 to 1817
Main period of development: 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 47