Trelissick, Truro, England
Record Id: 3300
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Trelissick is a mid-18th-century park and early- and late-19th-century pleasure grounds, woodland and agricultural landscape of 92 hectares.
Brief history of site
Trelissick appears to have existed as a farm by the late-13th century. Soon after 1750, John Lawrence built a mansion at Trelissick to the design of Edmund Davey and laid out a small park. In 1802 Trelissick was described in the Royal Cornwall Gazette as standing 'much elevated', with grounds including a 'large walled garden well cloathed with fruit trees, a good orchard behind the house and a handsome lawn in front'. R A Daniell expanded and developed the 18th century park in the early-19th century, creating rides through woodland to the north and south of the house. Additions were made to the house and pleasure grounds throughout the late-19th century.
Address: Trelissick, Feock, Truro, Cornwall, TR3 6QL
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||204||Grid Ref:||SW837396|
The gardens are 4 miles south of Truro on the B3289.
Opening contact details:
The woodland and gardens are open daily, except Christmas and New Year. Core hours 11am to 4pm.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 92