Tregrehan, St. Austell, England
Record Id: 3299
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Tregrehan has 19th- and 20th-century pleasure grounds, woodland gardens and pinetum of 8 hectares. These are set within a larger agricultural estate.
Brief history of site
The estate was built up from the 15th century onwards. A late-17th-century house was apparently not associated with a park or garden. The house was altered in about 1770 by William Wood for Thomas Carlyon. In the early-19th century Thomas' son, William, began to develop the pleasure grounds with newly introduced conifers and a yew walk. In 1843 plans were commissioned for parterres and other improvements from W A Nesfield. Extensive alterations to the house were undertaken with the advice of George Wightwick in the 1840s.
Address: Tregrehan, Par, St Austell, Cornwall, PL24 2SJ
Locality: St. Austell
Cornwall; St. Blaise
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||204||Grid Ref:||SX051535|
The gardens lie north of the A390.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open at varying times from mid March to the end of August.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Plant type/environment: woodland garden
Main period of development: Mid 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 45