Tregothnan, Truro, England
Record Id: 3298
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Tregothnan is a landscape park developed in the early-19th century, with formal and woodland gardens of around 25 hectares. These are set within a larger woodland and agricultural estate.
The garden is NOT open to the public, but private tours can be arranged. Please see:http://www.tregothnan.co.uk/the-botanic-garden/p_185/
Brief history of site
Following damage during the Civil War, Hugh Boscawen abandoned the medieval house and built a new dwelling on a site to the south-east in 1650. Part of this structure remains in the present mansion. Repton provided a Red Book for Tregothnan in 1809, and advised on the structural condition of the house, which was largely rebuilt by William Wilkins in 1816-1818. The second Earl, who succeeded in 1821, commissioned Lewis Vulliamy to make additions to the house and William Andrews Nesfield to alter the pleasure grounds and drive. Collections of rhododendrons and camellias were introduced to the grounds in the mid-19th century.
Address: Estate Office, Tregothnan, Truro, Cornwall, TR2 4AJ
Cornwall; St. Michael
Historical County: Cornwall
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||204||Grid Ref:||SW858416|
South-east of Truro.
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: botanic garden
Context or principal building: country house
Plant type/environment: arboretum
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 150