Tottenham Park, Marlborough, England
Record Id: 3281
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Tottenham Park has parkland landscaped in the 18th century, with lengthy forest avenues and rides.
Brief history of site
By around 1200 the area around Tottenham House formed part of a large forest known as Savernacke Forest. By around 1600 a series of large parks had been created. By the late-16th century a deer park had been created, situated around an Elizabethan mansion called Totnam Lodge built in about 1575. By 1675, Totnam Lodge had been destroyed, possibly by a fire. By 1718 Tottenham House contained gardens, a nursery, a bowling green, and a series of formal rides or avenues, including the Great Walk. In about 1721 Lord Burlington designed a new house, set within formal pleasure grounds surrounded by a park with avenues, rides, and various garden buildings, and between 1764 and 1770 Lancelot Brown improved the park, Savernake Forest, the pleasure grounds, and built a new kitchen garden. Around 1816, Burlington's mansion was replaced with a new house.
Address: Great Bedwyn, Wiltshire, SN8 3BD
Wiltshire; Great Bedwyn
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||174||Grid Ref:||SU249639|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: country house
Site first created: 1575
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 1600