Tortworth Park, (also known as Tortworth Court), Whitfield, England
Record Id: 3280
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Tortworth Park has pleasure grounds and a park of 154 hectares, set around a country house. The site includes terraced gardens laid out to the designs of Samuel Teulon in the 1840s, a walled kitchen garden and an arboretum.
Brief history of site
Sir Robert Ducie bought the manor of Tortworth in 1610. The manor had a 16th-century house, with which a medieval park and coney ground were associated. In 1661 Sir Robert's grandson, William, obtained a licence to enclose Tortworth and Cromhall Parks and for over a century the two parks existed side by side. In 1848 the second Earl of Ducie abandoned the old-fashioned, low-lying Old Court and commissioned from Samuel Sanders Teulon a design for a new house, Tortworth Court. Much ornamental planting was undertaken by the third Earl after 1853. By 1921, when the third Earl died, the arboretum was widely admired for its collection.
Address: Tortworth, South Gloucestershire, GL12 8BT
South Gloucestershire; Tortworth
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST694925|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1849 to 1853
Main period of development: 17th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 154