Tongue House, Tongue, Scotland
Record Id: 3277
The following is from the Historic Environment Scotland Gardens and Designed Landscapes Inventory. For the most up-to-date Inventory entry, please visit the Historic Environment Scotland website:
Reason for Inclusion
A mid 19th-century designed landscape which is scenically impressive and architecturally valuable as the setting for a category A listed house.
The designed landscape of Tongue House was laid out after 1750; the exact date is uncertain. Documentary map evidence is provided by General Roy's map of c.1750, the 1st edition OS map of 1880 and the 2nd edition OS map of 1908.
In the 17th century, the estate was the seat of the Clan Mackay. In 1628, Sir Donald Mackay of Farr became the 1st Lord Reay. The present house is dated 1678 with later additions in 1750 when tree planting, some of which remains today, was carried out. In 1829 the 7th Lord Reay (1775-1847) sold the estate to the Sutherland family who were responsible for subsequent improvements to the grounds. For many years, Tongue House was the residence of the factor for their northern estates. The 4th Duchess of Sutherland, Duchess Millicent, was a very keen gardener and was probably responsible for much of the planting in the walled garden and many of the trees in the policies. Her granddaughter, the present Countess, and her husband, Mr. Charles Janson, made Tongue House their permanent residence in 1975.
Feature created: 1714
Designation status: Historic Environment Scotland Listed Building Designation Grade b Designation Reference Sundial
Designation status: Historic Environment Scotland Listed Building Designation Grade C Designation Reference Boathouse and pier