Thorndon Park, (also known as Thorndon Hall), Brentwood, England
Record Id: 3245
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site occupies about 243 hectares and includes the earthwork remains of the original Thorndon Hall which dated from between 1558 and 1603. A new hall was built in the early-18th century, designed by James Paine, with the deer park landscaped by Lancelot Brown in the 1760s. Part of the estate was designated as a country park in the 20th century, whilst part is given over to use as a golf course designed by Colt and Alison in 1920.
Brief history of site
The first contrived landscape at Thorndon came in about 1412 with the building of a brick lodge and the enclosure of 125 hectares of parkland. In 1576 John Petre began to rebuild the house and remodel the garden. During the 17th century little activity occurred on the Thorndon estate, but in the early-18th century the eighth Lord Petre commissioned Giacomo Leoni to partially remodel the Hall and went on to devise an extensive and highly elaborate formal scheme for the Thorndon landscape. The ninth baron embarked on the building of a new Hall designed by James Paine in 1763. Lancelot Brown was commissioned to bring the landscape up to date.
Address: Thorndon Gate, Ingrave, Essex, CM13 3RH
Essex; Brentwood; Herongate and
Historical County: Essex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ617917|
Opening contact details:
The site is now a country park and golf course.
Form of site: country park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1412
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 243