Thornbury Castle, Thornbury, England
Record Id: 3244
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Thornbury Castle has the remains of an elaborate Tudor garden on an earlier site. There is formal planting from the time of Henry VIII. There are 16th-century bee-holes, an 18th-century ha-ha, specimen cedars and sequoia. There are also yew topiary hedges and an arbour. Lawns and flower beds are enclosed by castellated walls. There is an Armillary sundial and a recent vineyard. The garden enclosures extend to around 2 hectares. The building is now a hotel, but is not open to the public in the general sense. This record was checked with South Gloucestershire Historic Monument Records Officer - June 2010.
Brief history of site
In 1508 the third Duke of Buckingham obtained licence to castellate the house at Thornbury and embarked on an ambitious building programme. In the same year he obtained a licence to impark some 1000 acres within the Lordship of Thornbury. By 1521 the Castle was less than half-finished, but a large garden enclosure had been constructed on the south side of the ducal apartments. In 1849 Henry Thomas Howard took up residence in the Castle and called in the architect Anthony Salvin to make the south section of the west range habitable. It seems likely that the gardens were laid out in their present form in about 1854.
Address: Castle Street, Thornbury, BS35 1HH
South Gloucestershire; Thornbury
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST634907|
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: hotel
Site Style : formal
Site first created: 1511
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2