Thoresby Park, Mansfield, England
Record Id: 3242
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Thoresby Park has a landscape park which is now considerably reduced by agricultural and forestry development. There are also mid-19th-century formal gardens.
Brief history of site
An estate map was produced in 1680 showed the mansion with a terrace and pleasure grounds. Shortly afterwards William Pierrepont rebuilt the mansion. In 1768 Evelyn Pierrepont commissioned John Carr of York to rebuild the Hall, while his gardener Francis Richardson, and possibly Lancelot Brown, began work on the landscape. Humphry Repton produced a Red Book for the park in 1791, parts of which were carried out. In 1864 Sydney Pierrepont commissioned Anthony Salvin to build a new hall at Thoresby on a site to the north of the old one. Edward Milner laid out a pleasure ground north-west of the hall in the late-19th century.
Address: Thoresby Park, near Ollerton, Newark, Nottinghamshire, NG22 9EP
Nottinghamshire; Newark and Sherwood; Perlethorpe cum
Historical County: Nottinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||120||Grid Ref:||SK 638 711|
Opening contact details:
This is now a venue for weddings, conferences and events.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: Before 1680
Main period of development: Late 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 882