Thame Park, Oxfordshire, England
Record Id: 3237
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Thame Park was developed on the site of a former Cistercian Abbey. The grounds now consist of 198 hectares of landscape park, with 12 hectares of gardens and a boating lake.
Brief history of site
Thame Abbey, an important Cistercian abbey founded around 1140 on the site of the present house, was acquired in 1547 by Sir John Williams. Most of the buildings were demolished, but the 15th/16th-century Abbot's Lodgings remain as the south wing, together with the kitchen wing to the north. The sixth Viscount Wenman added a Palladian west wing in the late-1740s. The park was probably laid out in the mid- to late-18th century, seemingly covering part of an earlier park.
Address: Thame Park, Thame, Oxfordshire, OX9 3PU
Oxfordshire; South Oxfordshire; Thame
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SP716037|
14 miles east of Oxford
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 210