Tewin Water, Welwyn Garden City, England
Record Id: 3236
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Tewin Water has the remains of a late-18th-century landscape park covering about 77 hectares. The park has been affected by 20th-century institutional development.
Brief history of site
An estate map of around 1785-9 shows the layout of land around the house at that time, including a 16 hectare paddock called The Warren, which Lady Cathcart labelled the park, together with a 3 hectare garden lying adjacent. In 1797 Tewin Water house was demolished and rebuilt in Neoclassical style. In 1799 the fifth Earl engaged Humphry Repton to improve his estates. In 1902 Alfred Beit acquired the estate, extending the house and adding formal elements to the gardens. During the late-1940s and 1950s the estate was sold into divided ownership.
Address: Tewin Water, Digswell, Welwyn, Hertfordshire, AL6 0AA
Locality: Welwyn Garden City
Hertfordshire; East Hertfordshire; Tewin
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL256145|
North of the B1000, north-east of Welwyn Garden City.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: multiple dwelling
Site Style : English landscape garden
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: ground/below ground level remains
Site Size (Hectares): 77