Tatton Park, Stockport, England
Record Id: 3223
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Tatton Park is an 18th-century landscape park which was originally a deer park. Within a total area of about 1000 hectares the site includes formal and informal gardens of the 19th and 20th centuries. These include the topiary garden, 'Charlotte's Lawn', an Italian garden, a rose garden and an arboretum. There is also the Walled Garden, the Japanese Garden, the Old Hall and the farm.
Brief history of site
Tatton Park originated as a deer park in 1290. The park was remodelled by Humphry Repton during the 18th century, after a new house was built in 1716.
George Ormerod notes in his 'History of Cheshire' (1819) that the owner was Wilbraham Egerton. The site is described: 'Tatton Park is from ten to eleven miles in circumference, and it is situated immediately north of Knutsford. It is well wooded: and contained until lately, two lakes or meres, one of which, on account of its proximity to the house, has been recently drained, under the direction of Webb.'
Formal and informal gardens were added during the 19th and 20th centuries.
Address: Tatton Park, Knutsford, Cheshire, WA16 6QN
Cheshire East; Knutsford
Historical County: Cheshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SJ 745 815|
Opening contact details:
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: 1700 to 1799
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 1000