Taplow Court, Maidenhead, England
Record Id: 3221
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site originates in the early medieval period. The formal gardens were laid out in the 19th century, with adjacent lawns and woodland walks. There are also early-18th-century pleasure grounds and a small park. The site occupies an area of about 25 hectares.
Brief history of site
George Hamilton, first Lord Orkney, bought the Taplow Court estate, together with the Cliveden estate, in about 1700. It is possible that Lancelot Brown worked here under the fifth Earl Inchiquin in about 1776. In 1852 it was sold to Charles Pascoe Grenfell, who employed William Burn to remodel the house in its current Tudor style.
Address: Taplow Court, Berry Hill, Taplow, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 0ER
Buckinghamshire; South Bucks; Taplow
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SU906822|
East of Maidenhead, immediately east of the A4094 on the west side of Taplow.
Opening contact details:
The site is open on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays only, during the summer.
Events. Parking. Refreshments. Wheelchair access. Guide dogs only.
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: religious ritual and funerary
Site Style : formal
Main period of development: 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 25