Tackley Abbey, (also known as Tackley Park), Bicester, England
Record Id: 3210
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Tackley Abbey has the remains of early formal water gardens, constructed in about 1620. The site covers approximately 2 hectares.
Brief history of site
John Harborne bought both the manors of Tackley, Hill Court (now known as Tackley Park) and Base Court (now known as Court Farm), in 1612. Around 1615 Harborne built a new manor house (now gone) together with attached terraced gardens on the east-facing hillside above, and a detached formal water garden. The water features and earthworks were cleared and restored in the 1960s by the then owner, Sir Harald Peake.
Address: Tackley, Oxfordshire, OX5 3AL
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Tackley
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP480205|
10 miles north of Oxford off the A4260
Form of site: garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Plant type/environment: water garden
Site first created: 1615
Main period of development: Early 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 2.2