Syon Park, Greater London, England
Record Id: 3207
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Syon House was constructed in the mid-16th century on a former Abbey site. The park was redesigned in the mid-18th century in the English Landscape style by Lancelot Brown. The park covers about 80 hectares and includes 16 hectares of ornamental gardens developed in the 19th century. Some of the botanic collections originated in the 16th century. The Great Conservatory was designed by Charles Fowler in 1826.
Brief history of site
Syon Monastery, founded in 1415, moved to the site of Syon Park in 1431. The Duke of Somerset was granted the monastery and the estate after the Dissolution. He built a new house with raised terraces, one of which was triangular. Lancelot Brown was commissioned to redesign and enlarge the gardens and the park in 1754, and in 1762 Robert Adam was employed to remodel the House. The third Duke, who succeeded to the title in 1817, made a number of major improvements and it was he who opened the gardens to the public in 1837.
Address: Syon Park, Brentford, Middlesex, TW8 8JF
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Hounslow; Brentford
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ171766|
Off the A315/A310 junction.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open: March - October, 10.30 to 17.00 (or dusk if earlier). November to February - weekends only, 10.30 - 16.00.
WCs. Refreshments. Garden Centre. No dogs (except guide dogs). Some disabled access - phone for details.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: great house
Site Style : English landscape garden
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 80