Sydney Gardens, Bath, England
Record Id: 3205
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Sydney Gardens occupy a 4 hectare elongated hexagon-shaped site in a residential area to the north-east of Bath. The gardens were opened as a public pleasure ground on the 11th May 1795. They have since been subject to a series of alterations.
Brief history of site
Sydney Gardens were designed by Charles Harcourt Masters, a Bath architect, and opened in 1795. During the first quarter of the 19th century various new attractions were introduced in Sydney Gardens. In about 1839 work started on the section of the Great Western Railway that runs through the Gardens, effectively cutting the Gardens in half. Various garden features and buildings were destroyed. In 1908 Bath City Council purchased Sydney Gardens, which opened to the public in 1913.
Address: Sydney Road, Bath, BA2 6NT
Bath and North East Somerset; Bathwick
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST757653|
The park lies between the A4 and the A36 in Bath. From the A4 London Road take the A36 onto Bathwick Street. Continue on the A36 along Beckford Road to Sydney Road.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1792 to 1795
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 4