Swerford, (also known as Swerford Park), Chipping Norton, England
Record Id: 3199
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Swerford is an early-19th-century landscape park occupying about 35 hectares, possibly designed by J C Loudon.
Brief history of site
The Duke of Buccleuch commissioned the house as a hunting lodge in 1783, and by 1797 the estate was known as Swerford Park. Joseph M Gandy was employed to remodel the house from about 1824-9.
Address: Swerford Park, Swerford, Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, OX7 4AT
Locality: Chipping Norton
Oxfordshire; West Oxfordshire; Swerford
Historical County: Oxfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||164||Grid Ref:||SP364313|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1783
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 35