Sutton Park, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, England
Record Id: 3191
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Sutton Park was originally a medieval hunting park, and became a public park in 1528. It is a natural countryside park, and includes woodlands, heathlands and wetlands. There is a range of leisure facilities including walks, golf courses and a fishing lake. The park occupies about 970 hectares (900 hectares registered).
Brief history of site
Sutton Park was first enclosed as a medieval deer park in the 12th century. It became a public park in 1528. In the 18th and 19th centuries it became the base for a range of industrial processes, and in the 20th century was re-landscaped for leisure activities. The area also contains substantial prehistoric, Roman and medieval archaeological remains.
Address: Sutton Park, Park Road, Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham, B74 2YT
West Midlands; Birmingham
Historical County: Warwickshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||139||Grid Ref:||SP099970|
West of Sutton Coldfield, off A452.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site, open daily from 10am. It closes at 7pm in summer, 4.30pm in winter.
Parking. Visitor Centre. WCs. Dogs allowed under control. Play areas. Refreshments.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 970