Sutton Park, Sutton on the Forest, York, England
Record Id: 3190
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Sutton Park is a landscape park and garden associated with a country house. Features include the pond garden, a small arboretum, the rock garden, terraced gardens, a laburnum walk and the fernery.
Brief history of site
Thomas Atkinson rebuilt the house between 1750 and 1764. A plan for the Sutton estate remains in existence, drawn up by an Adam Mickle. It is unclear whether this would be Adam Mickle senior or Adam Mickle junior. The plan is not dated but was prepared for the Rev Henry Goodricke. He married Anne Harland, whose father left her the estate, in 1767. Goodricke died in 1801, so the plan has to be between the two dates. A small arboretum was created between 1837 to 1901. Peter Coats more recently created new designs including the laburnum walk, canal pond and pond garden. This work took place from 1963 to 1990.
Address: Sutton on the Forest, YO61 1DR
North Yorkshire; Hambleton; Sutton-on-the-For
Historical County: North Riding of Yorkshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||100||Grid Ref:||SE583645|
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open to the public daily between April and September. The house has more restricted opening times.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: manor house
Site first created: After 1720
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 100