Sundridge Park, Bromley, England
Record Id: 3183
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Sundridge Park is a late-18th-century landscape park and woodland around a country house by John Nash. At its most extensive the parkland extended to 235 hectares but was much reduced in the 19th and 20th centuries. The site is now in divided ownership and use primarily as a golf course, hotel and meeting facility.
Brief history of site
In 1746, the surveyor John Rocque showed the site as the property of Mr Washers with a house set in open parkland surrounded on three sides by woods. Humphry Repton was brought in to advise on the landscape in 1793. The site changed ownership, but Repton's recommendations were nonetheless implemented. John Nash was appointed as architect for the new mansion, but before it was completed, he was replaced by Samuel Wyatt. A new conservatory was added in the 1820s by Sir Samuel Scott, who was a keen member of the Horticultural Society of London. Between 1873 and 1874 the firm of Pulham and Son made a Chasm, Fernery, Alpinery, and Cliff in the grounds.
Address: Sundridge Park Manor Hotel, Plaistow Lane, Bromley, Kent, BR7 5EP
Greater London; Bromley
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||177||Grid Ref:||TQ416707|
Opening contact details:
The site is now a hotel, conference centre and wedding venue.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: hotel
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 120