Bayham Abbey, (also known as Bayham Hall), Tunbridge Wells, England
Record Id: 318
This site is NOT open to public.
This site has the following component area(s):
Brief description of site
Bayham Hall is a 19th-century house set in a landscape park covering 368 hectares. The site has formal gardens dating from the late-19th century and woodland of 10 hectares. The land has been in divided use since 1978.
Brief history of site
In 1797, Bayham was inherited by John Jeffries, the second Earl Camden, who in 1799 commissioned Humphry Repton to advise on improvements to the estate and to provide designs for a new house. Repton made a second visit in 1814 by which time only the proposal for the lake had been adopted, although later maps suggest his proposals influenced the valley landscape. His suggestion of a new site for the house, further to the north-east on a spot more elevated than the first, was later adopted by the third Marquess when, in 1870, he built the present house and laid out the surrounding gardens.
Address: Bayham Hall, Lamberhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN3 8BE
Locality: Tunbridge Wells
Kent; Tunbridge Wells; Lamberhurst
Historical County: Kent
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||188||Grid Ref:||TQ644368|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: country house
Site first created: 1799 to 1870
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 368