Bayfordbury, Hertford, England
Record Id: 317
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Bayfordbury is a landscape park originating in the mid-18th century with further development in the 19th century. The park has notable trees and a pinetum. Since the mid-20th century the estate has been in divided use and ownership. The house and immediate grounds are privately owned and not open to visitors. The remainder, including the Clinton-Baker pinetum with Pulhamite grotto, is occupied by the University of Hertfordshire Science Learning Centre. Much of the estate has now been returned to agriculture.
Brief history of site
Jane Cottrell and Harriet Baker, daughters and co-heiresses of Jane Aldemare from whom they inherited Bayford manor, sold the estate to Sir William Baker (died 1770) in 1758. Sir William built a house on the former farmland, 1759-62, surrounding it with a landscape park in which a collection of cedars of Lebanon were planted in 1765 as nine-year-old saplings.
Address: Science Learning Centre, University of Hertfordshire, Bayfordbury, Hertford, Hertfordshire, SG13 8LD
Hertfordshire; East Hertfordshire; Bayford
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL314102|
South of Hertford, south of the B158
Opening contact details:
The Pinetum is closed to members of the general public, but is open to Members of the Friends of the Clinton-Baker Pinetum.
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: education
Site first created: 1759 to 1762
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 138