Stratton Park, Winchester , England
Record Id: 3159
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Stratton Park has formal gardens, pleasure grounds and a landscape park covering approximately 123 hectares. The current layout overlies early formal gardens and a deer park dating from the 1660s formed by Sir William Russell.
Brief history of site
Thomas Wriothesley probably established a park when he was granted a licence in 1664 to enclose a highway near his mansion. A formal landscape was laid out in the late-17th century. In 1801 Sir Francis Baring commissioned Humphry Repton to produce a design for a new house in a landscaped setting. The existing house was largely rebuilt by the architect George Dance the Younger in 1803. There was further work in the late-19th and early-20th centuries by Gertrude Jekyll.
Address: Micheldever, SO21 3BW
Hampshire; Winchester; Micheldever
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||185||Grid Ref:||SU542413|
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Site first created: After 1664
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 123