Stratfield Saye Park, Reading, England
Record Id: 3157
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Stratfield Saye has pleasure grounds and a landscape park of approximately 523 hectares. Some of the features date from 1745-1803 by Lord Rivers. From 1813 on additions were made by the Duke of Wellington.
Brief history of site
William de Say was granted a licence to inclose his wood to form a park in 1216 and by around 1340, a house had been built there. Sir William Pitt is traditionally credited with the building of the present house, on obtaining final possession of the estate in 1630. Lord Rivers had succeeded to the estate in 1745 and, through the second half of the 18th century until his death in 1803, he made major changes and improvements. The present walled gardens north-west of the house were built and the pleasure grounds planted with an arboretum of exotic trees. The park was greatly enlarged and planted with specimen trees.
Address: Stratfield Saye, RG7 2BZ
Hampshire; Basingstoke and Deane; Stratfield Saye
Historical County: Hampshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||186||Grid Ref:||SU699616|
The site is one mile west of the A33 between Basingstoke and Reading.
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open during the Easter break and July. Please see the website for details.
Form of site: country estate
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: house
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 523