St Paul's Walden Bury, Stevenage, England
Record Id: 3146
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
St Pauls Walden Bury has an early-18th-century formal Baroque garden within a woodland garden in the 1730s Forest style, covering about 16 hectares. The original design has been preserved, with the addition of 20th-century gardens of about 3 hectares.
Brief history of site
After 1700 the site was bought by Edward Gilbert, who built a house around 1730, constructing ornamented formal pleasure grounds in adjacent woodland. Mary Eleanor Bowes (died 1800) inherited the estate in the late-18th century. She was a renowned botanist and may have improved the gardens during her occupation. The gardens and pleasure grounds were restored from the 1930s to the 1960s, with work by Sir Geoffrey Jellicoe.
Address: St Paul's Walden Bury, Whitwell, Hitchin, Hertfordshire, SG4 8BP
Hertfordshire; North Hertfordshire; St Paul's Walden
Historical County: Hertfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||166||Grid Ref:||TL188217|
5 miles south of Hitchin on the B561.
Opening contact details:
Visits are by appointment only. Please telephone 01 438 871218.
Parking. WCs. Disabled access. Teas. Dogs on lead only.
Form of site: formal garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: house
Plant type/environment: woodland garden
Site Style : Baroque
Site first created: 1700 to 1730
Main period of development: Early 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 50