Stowe, Buckingham, England
Record Id: 3143
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Stowe is an 18th-century landscape garden occupying about 200 hectares, set within extensive parkland of around 300 hectares. The garden contains numerous 18th-century architectural features, and other features which were added after 1921.
Brief history of site
In 1677 Sir Richard Temple began building a mansion on a new site. This building is at the core of the current mansion. Completed in the early 1680s, it had a formal terraced garden with straight walks to the south and a walled kitchen garden close by. The house was lavishly rebuilt after 1714 and the gardens were developed in collaboration with Sir John Vanbrugh and Charles Bridgeman. From 1741 Lancelot Brown was employed as head gardener and clerk of works.
Address: Stowe Landscape Gardens, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, MK18 5EH
Buckinghamshire; Aylesbury Vale; Stowe
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||165||Grid Ref:||SP673373|
3 miles north west of Buckingham, off the A422 Buckingham to Banbury road.
Opening contact details:
The park is open throughout the year. The gardens are open every weekend, with additional mid-week days between March and October.
Free parking. Dogs on leads only. Limited disabled access. WCs. Refreshments.
Form of site: landscape garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: school
Site Style : English landscape garden
Site first created: 1677 to 1714
Main period of development: 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 500