Battlesden Park, Leighton Buzzard, England
Record Id: 314
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
The site has the remnants of an 18th- and 19th-century landscape park, which at its most extensive was around 100 hectares in area. It is now about 12 hectares.
Brief history of site
In 1334 Thomas Fermbaud was licensed to impark 100 hectares of land and wood in Battlesden and Potsgrove, seemingly on the site of the current park. Humphry Repton was employed before 1808 by Sir Gregory Page-Turner to alter the house and survey the park. The house was rebuilt for Sir Edward Page-Turner in the early 1860s and demolished shortly after 1885. The principal building is now the stable block, probably dating from the 1860s, now converted to residential use.
Address: Battlesden Park, Battlesden, Bedfordshire, MK17 9HW
Locality: Leighton Buzzard
Central Bedfordshire; Battlesden
Historical County: Bedfordshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||153||Grid Ref:||SP957289|
North-east of Leighton Buzzard
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Site first created: After 1334
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Survival: Part: standing remains
Site Size (Hectares): 12