Stourhead, Warminster, England
Record Id: 3139
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Stourhead is an 18th-century landscape garden, with a lake and woodland of 16 hectares, set within a larger estate of park, wood and farmland. The lake is surrounded by a series of classical temples and follies.
Brief history of site
There was a park at Stourton during the 15th and 16th centuries. Henry Hoare replaced the previous house with a Palladian-style country house designed by Colen Campbell in about 1721-4. To the east of the new house was a railed forecourt with an oval lawn, and walled gardens were laid out to its south. The landscape was developed between 1741 and 1780 by Henry Hoare II. The estate was given to the National Trust in 1946.
Address: Stourton, BA12 6QD
Wiltshire; Stourton with
Historical County: Wiltshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||183||Grid Ref:||ST780340|
The site is 8 miles south of Frome on the A361.
Opening contact details:
Form of site: landscape garden
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: mansion house
Site Style : Classical landscape
Site first created: 1721 to 1780
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 331