Stoke Rochford Hall, Grantham, England
Record Id: 3126
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
Rochford Hall is surrounded by park and woodland landscaped during the 17th and 18th centuries, with formal gardens created in the 19th century beside the house. The house was badly damaged by fire in 2005 but has been restored and currently (2008) functions as a conference centre. Part of the grounds are now a golf club.
Brief history of site
In 1665, Sir Edmund Turnor began to build a new house on the site of the old one. Around it he laid out formal gardens, parterres, and terraces. By 1794 another, smaller house had taken its place. Sir Christopher Turnor commissioned the architect William Burn to design a grand new mansion, which was built between 1841 and 1843 on higher ground to the north-east. The design of the pleasure grounds was undertaken by W A Nesfield.
The current house standing on the site was designed in 1840 by William Burn. The house and grounds are now used as a conference facility.
Address: Stoke Rochford Hall, Stoke Rochford, near Grantham, Lincolnshire, NG33 5EJ
Lincolnshire; South Kesteven; Stoke Rochford
Historical County: Lincolnshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||130||Grid Ref:||SK917280|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Recreational/sport
Context or principal building: commercial
Site first created: 1600 to 1699
Main period of development: Mid 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 140