Gardens of Remembrance, Stoke Poges, Slough, England
Record Id: 3125
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The memorial gardens cover nine hectares adjacent to Stoke Park. They are a cemetery for cremation burials only. The gardens were laid out by Edward White and are of an innovative design. They originally had none of the traditional buildings or memorials associated with funerary sites. Features include ponds, formal and informal gardens, fountains, knot gardens, a central parterre and tree avenues.
Brief history of site
In 1928 Sir Noel Mobbs gave a piece of gently sloping open parkland for a garden of remembrance. The garden was laid out by Edward White of Milner, Son and White, Landscape Architects, during the early-1930s. The layout was completed in November 1937. The site remains in use as a garden of remembrance. It underwent a major restoration programme, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund, in 2002-04.
Address: Stoke Poges Garden of Remembrance, Church Lane, Stoke Poges, Buckinghamshire, SL2 4NZ
Buckinghamshire; South Bucks; Stoke Poges
Historical County: Buckinghamshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||175||Grid Ref:||SU974825|
Opening contact details:
The gardens are open from dawn till dusk throughout the year.
Form of site: garden of remembrance
Purpose of site: memorial garden
Context or principal building: religious ritual and funerary
Site first created: 1928 to 1937
Main period of development: Mid 20th century
Site Size (Hectares): 9