St Leonard's Gardens, Hastings, England
Record Id: 3105
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
St Leonard's Gardens are informal and ornamental gardens originally laid out in 1829 for the Royal Victoria Hotel, formerly the St Leonard's Hotel. The gardens were purchased by the council in 1880 and opened to the public. The site has recently (2008) benefited from a programme of restoration.
Brief history of site
By 1829, the St Leonards Hotel had been completed, and by 1831 the gardens were completed and open. They remained as subscription gardens until their purchase in 1880 by Hastings Corporation when they became public and were renamed St Leonards Gardens.
Address: St Leonard's Gardens, Hastings, East Sussex, TN38 0LX
East Sussex; Hastings
Historical County: Sussex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||199||Grid Ref:||TQ798090|
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site, open daily for general public use.
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site Style : informal
Site first created: 1829 to 1880
Main period of development: Early 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 3.5