St John's College, Cambridge, Cambridge, England
Record Id: 3101
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Part/component area of: Backs, The
Brief description of site
The gardens of St John's College, which occupy about 5 hectares, follow a similar layout to many of the other Cambridge colleges. The gardens are divided into large lawned areas known as the courts: First Court, Second Court, Third Court and Merton Court, most of which are bisected by paths. The gardens also feature separate, more enclosed areas: The Master's Garden, The Fellows' Garden and the Scholars' Garden. Of particular note is the 'Bridge of Sighs' which connects New Court to Third Court.
Brief history of site
St John's College was founded in 1511 on the site of the suppressed Hospital of St John the Evangelist. The college was developed during the 16th and 17th centuries, three courts being built axially from east to west. Lancelot Brown was consulted in 1772, although little detail is known about his influence on the college grounds. New Court was built in the 1820s and in the late-19th and early- to mid-20th century two new courts were built north of First and Second Courts.
Address: St John's College, Cambridge, CB2 1TP
Historical County: Cambridgeshire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||154||Grid Ref:||TL447588|
Centre of Cambridge.
Opening contact details:
The site is open throughout the year, at weekends only in winter.
Form of site: college garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: college
Site first created: 1511
Main period of development: 16th century
Site Size (Hectares): 9