St George's Gardens, Bloomsbury, Greater London, England
Record Id: 3085
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
The site originated as a burial ground designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor, which opened in 1715 and closed for burials in 1855. In 1885 two adjoining burial grounds, those of St George's Bloomsbury and of St George the Martyr, were combined and opened as a public garden designed by William Holmes. The garden was restored under the Urban Parks programme between 1997 and 2001. The present garden covers about 1 hectare and contains a variety of fern species.
Brief history of site
A rectangular parcel of land was purchased in August 1713 to serve as burial grounds for the churches of St George-the-Martyr, Holborn, and St George's, Bloomsbury. The land was laid out in about 1713 as two separate burial grounds. The burial grounds remained in use until the Burial Acts of the 1850s caused them to be closed. St George's grounds were laid out as a single garden between 1884 and 1889.
Address: St George's Gardens, Heathcote Street, Bloomsbury, London, WC1N 2NU
Locality: Greater London
Greater London; Camden; Bloomsbury
Historical County: Middlesex
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||176||Grid Ref:||TQ304824|
Tube: Russell Square (Piccadilly); King's Cross (Northern, Piccadilly, Victoria, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan, Circle). Bus: 17, 45, 46; 68, 91, 168, 188.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site, open daily for general public use.
Form of site: burial ground
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1713 to 1715
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 0.81