St Catherine's Court, Bath, England
Record Id: 3075
This site is NOT open to public.
Brief description of site
St Catherine's Court has terraced gardens of around one hectare overlooking a park of some 4 hectares. Elements of the layout are late medieval, with further work in the early-17th century. There is also 19th century planting.
The house is available for hire, but is not open to the public.
Brief history of site
In the 13th century the site belonged to the Benedictine monastery at Bath and there was a manor house in existence. The manors of St Catherine's and Kelston were granted by Henry VIII to his tailor, John Malte, who paid £1311 and adopted Awdry, an illegitimate daughter of the king. The terraced gardens were created in 1610. After a period of decline, restoration began from 1841.
Address: St. Catherine, BA1 8HA
Bath and North East Somerset; St. Catherine
Historical County: Gloucestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||172||Grid Ref:||ST778702|
Form of site: terraced garden
Purpose of site: ornamental garden
Context or principal building: manor house
Site first created: After 1610
Main period of development: Early 17th century
Site Size (Hectares): 5