Stapleford Park, Melton Mowbray, England
Record Id: 3065
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Stapleford Hall has a 17th-century deer park landscaped in the 18th century and later modified by Lancelot Brown, which at its most extensive was 325 hectares. The gardens immediate to the hall contain several walled gardens, lawns and ornamental borders. Stapleford Hall is now used as a hotel and country retreat.
Brief history of site
William Sherard rebuilt the hall and created the park in the early-17th century. The Hall was greatly enlarged in about 1670. Lancelot Brown was commissioned to landscape the park in around 1770. Between around 1818 and 1834, the park was enlarged to its present size, most of its ornamental woodland planted and many of the lodges and other estate buildings constructed. The Hall is now a hotel.
Address: Stapleford Hotel, Stapleford, near Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, LE14 2EF
Locality: Melton Mowbray
Leicestershire; Melton; Freeby
Historical County: Leicestershire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||130||Grid Ref:||SK813180|
Form of site: landscape park
Purpose of site: Ornamental
Context or principal building: hotel
Site first created: 1600 to 1699
Main period of development: Late 18th century
Site Size (Hectares): 300