Stamford Park, Ashton-under-Lyne, Greater Manchester, England
Record Id: 3045
Site is open to the public. Opening may be limited, please check Visitor Information for any restrictions.
Brief description of site
Stamford Park is a 19th-century public park which occupies about 26 hectares. The park was opened in 1873. There is no single outstanding feature, although the 'Dingle' on the western edge, formed by landscaping the valley of Cock Brook, is an interesting piece of landscaped gardening. The main merit of the site is within a small area of features characteristic of a 19th-century urban amenity park.
Brief history of site
The original park, south of Darnton Road, was opened in 1873 on land purchased for £15,000. The money was raised by public subscription together with a gift of 30 acres from the Earl of Stamford. The park was enlarged in 1891 by acquisition of Chadwick's Dam reservoir, the southern part of which was made into a boating lake and the northern part into a feeder lake and fishing lake. The last major addition was in 1929 with the donation of 4 acres which was devoted to a children's playground. The park was run by a joint committee from Ashton and Stalybridge until 1974, when it passed to Tameside Metropolitan Borough Council.
Address: Stamford Park, Ashton-under-Lyne, Tameside, OL6 6RT
Locality: Greater Manchester
Greater Manchester; Tameside
Historical County: Lancashire
|OS Landranger Map Sheet Number:||109||Grid Ref:||SJ954990|
West of the A635 between Ashton-under-Lyne and Stalybridge.
Opening contact details:
This is a municipal site, open daily from 8 am for general public use.
WCs, refreshments, children's play area, paddling pool
Form of site: public park
Purpose of site: urban park
Context or principal building: parks, gardens and urban spaces
Site first created: 1873
Main period of development: Late 19th century
Site Size (Hectares): 26